iAppraise | Susan Cain's Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

“You know people thought you were a snob in school because you didn’t speak to anyone. And now that I know you, I realise you are nowhere close to being a snob at all!”
This is a statement made 10 years ago by a now very dear friend about our school years which was some 20 years ago!

10 years ago, the word ‘snob’ hadn’t forged its way into my lexicon. I recall very vividly opening up the Oxford Dictionary, leafing through ‘S’ until I made it to ‘Sn’ and dragged my fingers all along the print until I could stop it at ‘snob’. And it read: A person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior and despises those with inferior tastes

Jaw drop!
Okay, I may have taken the literal meaning a little too personally but I’d instantly understood the underlying significance. More so, because that wasn’t the last time I would hear something to that effect.

I will not deny that I allowed those notions to perpetuate a stifled existence. I was not a snob. I was selective, yes, about people (no, not because I considered someone inferior to me. Heck, what would that even be based on?) and the topics that suited my interest (because I have had very limited interests). So truth be told, I will not always be able to contribute to a conversation, like say if you are talking about football! But I am an enthusiastic listener and that is how I piece information together about football, in this instance.

Over time, however, I began to notice that according to my hypotheses – which is: most people are not accustomed to being listened to – my very act of ‘not speaking’ was viewed as an act of defiance. So I got further labelled.
Misanthrope
Anti-social
Shy
And the cringe-worthy, Cultured. Yes, I was being considered cultured (layered over my ‘gender’ – a social construct again) because it’s viewed as a good thing when girls/women don’t say too much. Yes, therefore, cringe-worthy.

Over the years, I have heard more ‘Why are you so quiet?’, ‘Why do you think so much?’ and ‘You have to put yourself out there. Go interact!’ than anything else. Of course, I hope to live to see the day when ‘Thank you for listening’ becomes a part of our everyday parlance.

The struggle has been real. Very real (if such a coinage were to exist). Until I came across Susan Cain’s TED Talk. Those 19 minutes that summer of 2012 I sat staring at my computer screen glued to my spot. ‘The power of introverts in a world that can’t stop talking’ – that turned out to be the beginning of a very redemptive moment of my life!

Because as it turns out 20 years ago - when I was still in school - the word ‘introvert’ hadn’t made its way into the world’s lexicon with the same fervour as it has in the past couple of years.

But now I had ammunition to stop shaming myself. As twisted as that sounds, I had also been the one reinforcing to myself over the years that I ‘should not’ be so quiet. That being quiet was wrong! But when Susan mentions her own struggles during the TED Talk - “And I made these self-negating choices so reflexively, that I wasn't even aware that I was making them.” – I knew this had elements of my own story in it! And therein began a slow and gradual walk out of shame into self-acceptance. And a little bit of public awareness – the public, of course, were those within my own circles. I’d even read out an excerpt at my then workplace’s mid-year retreat! I haven’t stopped sharing the TED Talk since.

Cut the chase to the holiday season of December 2015 when I got over procrastinating and finally picked a copy of Susan’s book: Quiet. It has been among the best gifts I could’ve gotten for myself. I’ve furthered along in my progress towards my own redemption. Here’s why.

"Books make great gifts because they have whole worlds inside of them. And it's much cheaper to buy somebody a book than it is to buy them the whole world!" #NeilGaiman So I decided to finally pick @susancainquiet 's book Quiet as a gift for myself this holiday season. Thank you @flipkart for aiding the delivery Have you or are you gifting yourself something too? #book #bookstagram #gift #Quiet #LiveQuiet #RethinkQuiet #SusanCain #introvert #introversion #holidayseason #read #bookworm #happy #photooftheday @quietrev
A photo posted by Elita (@nomadicthunker) on



Susan’s brutally honest all the way. Including about herself and the journey of her book: “The authors whose books get published – once accepted as a reclusive breed – are now vetted by publicists to make sure that they’re talk-show ready. (You wouldn’t be reading this book if I hadn’t convinced my publisher that I was enough of a pseudo-extrovert to promote it.)

It was refreshing to hear the arguments from her interviews with different people on the subject of Leadership: “I worry that there are people who are put in positions of authority because they’re good talkers, but they don’t have good ideas. It’s easy to confuse schmoozing ability with talent.” I particularly loved her stance on how collaboration kills creativity with the New Groupthink that ‘elevates teamwork above all else’. It’s so rampant that even schools issue instructions such as ‘You can’t ask the teacher for help unless everyone in your group has the same question’. Instead she advocates that we ‘seek out symbiotic introvert-extrovert relationships.’

There’s a treasure trove of nuggets for parents of introverted children too from experts Susan spoke to: “Instead of seeing these kids as vulnerable to adversity, parents should see them as malleable. …the ideal parent: someone who can read your cues and respect your individuality…” And of the introverted child she mentions, “He had more acceptance of his parents than they had of him”

Susan however speaks for both – the introverts and the extroverts: “Extroversion is an enormously appealing personality style. But we’ve turned it into an oppressive standard to which most of us feel we must conform.” To the Introvert she says: “…find your flow by using your gifts… Being relatively unmoved by rewards gives you the incalculable power to go your own way. It’s up to you to use that independence to good effect…”

If anything this book has not only been instrumental in helping me define my normal but also helped me feel normal about it. There is nothing debilitating about tapping into the power of your own quiet.



This is an experiment to share insights from things beyond travel that have inspired me. Of course, books have accompanied me on my many journeys and have influenced my perceptions alongside. 
I'd really love to hear your thoughts to this review (done completely in my own signature style of free-flowing thoughts)

P.S.: If you like the posts you see on my blog, you could also Subscribe to HaveFeetWillTravel by Email and receive newer ones directly to your inbox! 


Labels: , , ,